Tuesday 29 April 2008

Younguns!

'Ight!

Currently I am sitting in the library with the burden of a 10,000 word dissertation about mass popular religion in the Middle Ages...so what to I do I write a blog. It is clearly my LAST distraction. I have been at this computer since 10am and its now 1.11pm...I have achieved nothing. Meh!? I'll get it done.

I was watching a Soul Survivor behind the scenes video on their website and it had clips from their summer festivals. Was interesting to watch what goes on behind the scenes to be honest but the bit that really got me *not lying* near tears was this clip, where the camera did a sweep of the front row. The kids in it must of been about 13-15 years old and it got to the chorus of love came down and this one boy just threw both hands in the air as a praise, thanksgiving to his saviour. It was just so beautiful.

I have seen so many more youth get passionate that I have adults. I think personally in one sense that is amazing but in another it is sad. It maybe because of the current society we live in that its it "cool" or "common" to be passionate and events like SS encouraging it, to many of our young people it is encouraged to raise our hands and go mental! Is this a bad thing? It certain situations no! Not at all...I think SS have a good balance of both loud going mental to beign quiet and reflective.
1 John 2:28 "[ Children of God ] And now, dear children, continue in him, so that when he appears we may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming"

Here it is clear that it is saying that when Jesus returns we will be unshamed and confident in him. There is nothing wrong with starting that in our daily lives and this includes in our worship.

I think christians struggle with the constant change in trying to keep church contemporary and dare I say it fasionable! Especially concerning youth, in all honesty there are so many "fun" things for teenagers to consume themselves with that the church needs to look as "fun" in order God to save them. I think this is a huge burden upon the modern church of today the need to constantly change in order to accomodate the everchanging society. The most amazing thing about this though is that although society changes God never does.
In Isaiah 40:28 it says this.
""Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom."

This amazing. So no matter how much we change and how much society change God never does. This is inspiring. So we need to keep changing in order to keep up with the current society but our God will always be the same and our God will always save.

What does this mean to our young people? I think sometimes the older people in the body of Christ look down upon on the youth and maybe think they are slightly incapable?! Obviously, I am slightly bias as a youth leader and kinda pretty young myself, however(!) there are churches were the youth are a separate organisation and may not be consider to be part of the church. I think it is really sad because firstly, its not good relationships for the people themselves and secondly, its not biblical at all. There is no where in the bible that it states to keep the young and old separate (if I am wrong please prove to me).

Paul writes Timothy 4:11-13
"11Command and teach these things. 12Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. 13Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching."

The key part I take from this is but set an example. It says don't let people look down on you but doesn't say get in a mood or dislike them for it but it says set an example. We can do this by devoting ourselves and showing this example in our speech, life, love, faith and purity. Showing this in all aspects of our lives. Just because we are young does not mean we are incapable of being a person going for God. Paul understand this and God knows this otherwise we wouldn't be blessed with opportunities to use our god-given gifts.

Thats all because its lunch time!!! woop!!

Til next time!


xx

2 comments:

Lou said...

hi hollin, woop for blogs! hope you are well xx
lou

Anonymous said...

Hey, great blog. If you're bored post-dissertation, check out Kenda Creasey Dean's Practicing Passion. It's about just this subject, and she writes brilliantly.